Monday, February 7, 2011

Bandwagon Jumpers

Being a lifelong Packer fan, I've seen the good and the bad.  I was a fan in 1996 when a young Brett Favre led the Packers to a Super Bowl.  I was a fan in 1997 when John Elway finally got his ring and defeated the Packers.  I was a fan when Holmgren left the Packers and Ray Rhodes was the head coach.  I was a fan when Mike Sherman took over and drafted bust after bust.  I was a fan during Favre's 6 INT playoff game vs the Rams.  I was a fan during the 4th and 26 game.  I was a fan when Michael Vick came in and rewrote the history books in Lambeau during the playoffs.  I was a fan during the magical "we want the ball and we're going to score"game vs the Seahawks.  I was a fan during Favre's 4-12 year.  I was a fan during the 2007 season where we lost in OT during the championship.  I was a fan during the whole Favre situation.  I was a fan through the Aaron Rodgers 6-10 season.  I was a fan after that tough OT loss last season.  And I was a fan even after 16 guys were put on IR and another suspended. 

I've been to drafts, I've traveled out of state to games.  I watch every game I can, and if I can't see the game, I watch endless sums of highlights.  I read all of the local newspaper articles, I read every post about the Packers on various sites.  I'm on several forums representing the Pack.  Through all of this, thick and thin, good times and bad, I've remained a Packer fan.  Even after losses, I wear my Green and Gold with pride.

That's why this bothers me so much.  It's perfectly fine to pick a team to root for in the Super Bowl.  But for you people who don't watch all the games, don't know the players, don't know the history, and don't have team pride all year round.  This game wasn't for you.  Don't go around acting like this game matters to you.  It doesn't.  This is for the true fans.  The fans who believed in Aaron Rodgers, the fans who believed in Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and the rest of the team.  This one is for us.  The Packers brought the Lombardi Trophy back home where it started.  World champion.  Green.  Bay.  Packers.

No comments:

Post a Comment